Antwahn Boyce–Vaughan loves electronic devices.
by Kimberley Cummins
When you first meet Antwahn Boyce–Vaughan he appears like any other teen.
Interested in video
games, hanging with friends, not too talkative, likes riding his bicycle and
loves his electronic devices.
But on closer
examination, he is far from ordinary.
Antwahn is an amputee.
In August 2017, he was
riding his bicycle as normal, when he began experiencing pain in his right
knee.
Antwahn was 16 then
and the pain was at first brushed off as “growing pains”, until it began to
intensify as each day went on.
Because of this, his
mother, Tonia Boyce decided to take him to the first doctor who diagnosed it as
a “ligament injury”.
That
seemed quite plausible, after all, he rode his bike multiple times a day. Cataflam
was the prescribed treatment. But the cataflam would kill the pain but only for
a short while before it returned. This then led the family to have an x-ray
done from which the second doctor identified Antwahn’s issue as “Myositis ossificans
with possible calcification of the muscle”. A third doctor suggested it was
“arthritis”, and again cataflam was prescribed for both diagnoses.
“When I took the
cataflam it was basically killing off the fluid in my knee and stopped it from
hurting but then when I stopped taking it, I don’t know how a broken bone would
feel but I guess that was how it felt,” Antwahn said.
The
pain and swelling increased, to the point that Antwahn began to limp and became
unable to get around only with the assistance of crutches.
So
at her wits end, Tonia again sought the advice of another
medical practitioner.
This time the doctor
insisted a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan should be carried out.
Just two months after Antwahn’s pains began, his mother’s heart sunk when
the results of that MRI revealed he had osteosarcoma.
Osteosarcoma is a rare bone cancer that eats
tissue and bone. Antwahn’s
cancer was from the end of the femur going into the knee down to the tibia.
This was a difficult pill for the mother of four to swallow.
“I never read one document
so much expecting to see something different than what I was seeing,” she said
in a trembling voice almost reliving the moment.
“I didn’t believe it
because he wasn’t sick. He just said, ‘mummy my knee hurting’ and I was
thinking it was an injury or growing pains– something [but] not a diagnosis of
cancer.”
The survival rate for osteosarcoma is pretty good as long as
it is detected early. However, the thing about this disease is from the time it starts to hurt it is at a late
stage.
The news was a shocker and a rocker for the
single mother but even more difficult was finding a way to break it to Antwahn.
Casting her mind back
to that day, Tonia described it as emotionally draining. Especially when she
spoke the dreaded word “cancer” aloud. Antwahn’s sole response in the moment
was a blank stare at his mum in disbelief.
“I told Antwahn this isn’t a flu
that will last for two weeks, this is a long haul. All battles are won in your
mind before anything else so you go to think positive and there are things you
can do to help the situation . . . . I
told him I saw people with stage 4 cancer and recover. So you have to have a
strong mind and a strong will to survive something like this because cancer is
not for the faint hearted. It is not. It takes you through so many different
emotions. Things that you didn’t expect that you could feel you would feel,”
she said.
While Tonia tried to maintain a positive outlook for the sake of her
children even when January 2018 arrived and the scary prospect that Antwahn had
to begin chemotherapy was evident, in the back of her mine she was simply praying
for the best.
Nearing tears, Tonia recalled the toll that those nine months of chemo
took on Antwahn’s body to the point where he was less than 100 lbs, had no hair
on his body and had to wear diapers.
She felt helpless seeing her child in that condition knowing all she
could do was pray and have a brave face.
“I was there every step of the way. I slept in the hospital
pun every ward he went on– B5, C12, A6. And I had to know and understand
everything that was going on . . . . I knew his protocol, I knew when he was
supposed to have his chemo, I know every drug he was getting, the procedures for
administering medications,” Tonia lamented.
For Antwahn the process not only stressed him physically but
emotionally.
“When I went to sleep I would mostly wake up in the morning
with my teeth hurting from grinding [them] in the night. I had back pains. I
was vomiting. Most of the time I was basically miserable and bored. After I
would get a sort of PTSD [post-traumatic
stress disorder] when I go to the hospital and just see the saline
bags, I would get afraid and get panic attacks,” he said.
By
May, about four months after chemo started, Tonia recognised that Antwahn was
going to lose his leg. To ensure that his adjustment period was not as hard as
it could have been she made contact with other young amputees to share their
experiences and reassure him of his situation.
On September 10, 2018, seven days before his 18 th birthday, Antwahn’s right foot was
amputated above the knee.
Antwahn
admitted that there have been some frustrating periods during his journey, like
the inquisitive people who are constantly staring.
Yet
other times have been rewarding like when he learned to ride his bike again but
with his prosthetic leg and when for the first time in two years he was able to
walk unassisted, even if only for a few seconds.
The
young man maintained that acceptance and confidence were coming increasingly
with time.
"I
think when you're presented in a situation like this, you can either dwell or
you can get on with it. . . . Adjustment was hard at first but since I
started walking with it and with therapy it is getting easier. I started
learning to walk again but it is just that I can’t walk without the walker.
However, I [am] trying to put less weight on the walker and put more weight
onto the leg but it is really hard because my stump is still weak so the knee
just constantly collapsing. So I just got to try to strengthen the stump,”
Antwahn asserted.
Health wise, on last August 9 they
received the results from Antwahn’s last CAT scan performed in July, which
revealed his was cancer free.
Seventeen months after his life changed forever Antwahn is
still learning to adjust but his mother was confident that with continued
family support he
will make it through his journey and be stronger than ever.
will make it through his journey and be stronger than ever.
“Cancer takes everything you have and you have to fight with everything
you have,” Tonia advised.

Comments
Post a Comment