By Symphony Griffith
![]() |
| (Landscape of Kingston Jamaica.) |
Migrating to another country is not always easy for
everyone, it’s like an emotional roller-coaster. On one hand you’re happy and
excited, while on the other, you’re worried, sad or even anxious, so as it was
with Marcia who was born and raised in Jamaica.
Twenty-two years ago, reality set in as Marcia sat next to
her Barbadian fiancé, onboard a flight destined to Barbados, a new land she
would soon call home. As she looked through the window of the plane, tears
filled her eyes, she could see the beautiful lush landscape, mountains, rivers
and buildings in Jamaica, slowly fade from her view, to make way for white
clouds and blue skies. “I was leaving my family and everything I knew,” she
said.
On her arrival to Barbados, she was not greeted as
friendly as she expected. She said meeting the officers at the airport was not
a good experience. “They were extremely unpleasant and I figured that it would
change over time and it has not. When you come in, it’s almost as if they’d
rather you not be here, so I’ve always not liked going through the airport,”
said Marcia.
Shaking her head in complete disappointment, she said:
“they say welcome to Barbados, but their welcome is not a welcoming one.”
At first, Marcia generally found that Barbadians were
very unfriendly in comparison to Jamaicans. “They don’t socialize very much
until you get to know them and sometimes you don’t get to know them until
months and months after,” she expressed.
These prejudices were very evident in her first few
months of her teaching career. Although she was qualified and granted the post,
there were still some people who did not speak to her at all simply because she
was a non-national. Over time, Marcia has since discovered that there are still
lots of wonderful people such as her friends and family, who actually embrace
her and truly make her feel at home.
She still holds her life in Jamaica close to her heart
and reminisced on her most memorable moments. “I miss the rivers and my
mountains and the culture on the whole, where people talk to you all the time.
You stand up by the bus top and you never stand up by yourself, it’s always
people chatting on the bus and everybody talks and socializes,” she said.
![]() |
| (Ackee and Saltfish, the National dish of Jamaica.) |
In that regard, she said it is frustrating because
Jamaican restaurants here in Barbados are very expensive and most of them that
she has been to, did not have Jamaican chefs to give it that authentic touch.
“When I was in Jamaica, I used to be a big Soca fan,” she
said. Marcia found that she grew a much
bigger appreciation for both Dancehall and Reggae music, after being away from
home for so long. Shaking her head and chuckling to herself, she revealed that “maybe
because I heard it so much, I did not want to hear it at all.”
One thing she had no choice but to hear and get used
to, was a Bajan accent. Initially it was a problem for her, she understood some
people, while there were many others who spoke really quickly. “I would ask
people deliberately, I would say hey, can you say that slowly for me? Or say
that again?” she expressed, while admitting that she too would have to speak
slower for them and speak English as opposed to Jamaican dialect.
Speaking about Bajan language, her favourite expression
is “Op-it-in,” which means to Open something. “Every time I hear it, I laugh
and I’m not laughing at them. For me, it’s just so different.” She found that the
difference between Bajan speech and Jamaican speech is that Bajans tend to chop
words, whereas back home, Jamaicans chop off the “H sounds.”
Even though 22 years have passed and Marcia is considered
a Barbadian citizen, she is still extremely proud to be Jamaican and has remained
in contact with other Jamaicans living in Barbados.
Jamaicans are very supportive of each other, it’s just
their nature. With a huge smile on Marcia’s face, she said “Whenever there’s anything
going on, everybody links up, so the Jamaicans would call around and say hey, a
Jamaican is having a session tonight and everybody who can go, will go and then
another Jamaican has a little restaurant in her backyard and we’d patronize
that as well.”
Marcia still wishes she was back home in Jamaica. “Sometimes
I actually cry as old as I am now I don’t like leaving my family and everything,
I don’t like to be away from the whole culture.” Through the midst of all her
feelings, she realized that as an adult you still have to do what you have to
do and at some point you have to grow up and recognize that “If it’s a matter
of opportunity because of a job, or whatever, at some point you have to take up
your family and you have to go and remember that wherever you are, that’s where
your family is,” she said.


Comments
Post a Comment