By Akeel Lovell
TROTT-ING TO GREATNESS
TROTT-ING TO GREATNESS
Young entrepreneur Jared Trotman has been making some big steps
in the local footwear industry, and for it was only a matter of time.
The 23-year-old has been making a name for himself for the
past year following his release of a range of slides branded with the broken
trident under his nickname “ Trottz ”.
“Looking
at the market in Barbados you would find they only have specific products like shirts
and hoodies. What I wanted was to have something you could year throughout the entire
year and not only at independence but still represents Barbados,” he said.
Trotman
said he always had a love for shoes, so he wasn’t surprised when the lightbulb
moment came to produce slides.
“I
wanted to own a business, I was not quite sure what exactly that was going to
be, however, I prayed about it, ask God for guidance, I know I needed some
slippers, the plan was to go buy some
slides in town or when I go overseas, but I
got the idea about one, two [in the morning] like boom, slides,” the
Trottz owner said.
Being
his own boss was important to Trotman but he had to now work out the logistics,
luckily, he coincidentally has been studying for the business and didn’t even
know. Trotman has an associate degree in Accounts and Bachelors in Marketing, two
majors that go hand in hand to help take off his business.
When I
first started this, I had to source capital, finding a manufacturer.” Said Trotman.
Trotman
first got people to recognize slides when he started wearing them school, what
he decried to be market test, about a year before he actually launched. He had initially
had “1966” engraved on the top of the slides however he later replaced that with
the broken trident.
The
trident he said symbolizes his freedom to be his own boss.
“For
me, it means being free. The whole idea of being a free and free to make my own
decisions, being free to accept all the liabilities, being removed from the
area, making myself my own boss, I think that that's what the trident means to
me… me being able to make my own with
decisions and lay down a foundation for
future generations” , said the young CEO.
Major challenge.
Starting
a new business is no easy task, especially when your young, the beginning is usually
riddled with issues.
Another
challenge for him was the sizing of slide, noting that different slides are cut
differently to the prescribed size chart, “ he said.
Support
Trotman
slides has been selling like hotcakes since they were released , and getting
cosigned by local celebrities such as Marcus Myers and Sean Sealy .
However,
he said his main support came from God, his parents and close friends.
The
truth is I going to try something I didn’t know If it would work, I knew it had
the potential to take off but not at the magnitude.
Memorable moment
My
most memorable moment would have to this time I had to drop shows to [ Shannon]
and she was like My God! I can’t believe I finally have the shoes my gosh, this
is want I been telling everybody about” this reaction was overwhelming.
“I didn’t
expect it, I didn’t expect people to see it like that and hold it as their own,”
he said as he reflected on that moment.
Also of
note “I have a friend who is ill and the shoes actually provides comfort with
her feet.”
His
big plan is to within the next 5 years do more apparel such as shirts and hats and reach the international market.
Comments
Post a Comment