by Anmar Goodridge-Boyce
LEFT-ARM SPINNER Jomel Warrican is
back and will be expected to boost the Barbados Pride in their clash against
Windward Islands at Kensington Oval.
Barbados Pride are fresh from an
emphatic victory over Trinidad and Tobago last week in the WICB
Professional Cricket League 4 Day tournament, and are confident of a
fifth straight win with the return of the 27-year-old Saint Vincent born
bowler.
Warrican who was sidelined for five
weeks following a dislocated finger said he was excited to rejoin the squad
after a lengthy injury.
“ It feels great to be back. The
process was long and painful but I had to stay positive in order to get back on
the field. I also had to put in a lot of work to be fit. I am confident
with the ball and even the bat,” he said.
Warrican has identified opening
batsman Devon Smith and wicket-keeper batsman Andre Fletcher as the danger men
for the visitors.
“They are the backbone of the
Windwards batting. If I can help my team get these guys out it will be a bonus
for us going forward. I just want to have a good performance and maybe get five
wickets so we can continue to win and lead the competition,” he said.
Skipper Kraigg Brathwaite has lauded
the hosts for their performances so far in the regional competition but is
warning his players not to become contented.
“We do not want to be complacent that
is the main thing. We have been doing well, winning our games. There is no
pressure. We are playing a game at the time.
We are feeling pretty good. I would
say the boys are confident. We are working hard, this last training session we
are just putting in that needed work to get ready for tomorrow,” he said.
“In the first game they beat us. I
think Windwards have a good experience team. They always play well in Barbados
as well so we have to play strong and do not estimate them at all.
“We must play our cricket
session-by-session and day-by-day that is the only way. We are not thinking
very far ahead at this stage right now. We have our team goals and it is
important to stick to them.
It is key for us to stay extremely
discipline in every aspect, whether it is batting or bowling and in the field
as well,” Braithwaite added.
Head coach Emmerson Trotman says he
is optimistic to get a result against Windwards given the pride were defeated
when the two teams met last year.
“
The guys have been working hard as usual, they are pretty confident. They are
playing good solid cricket and I am happy with their performance for the past
few games.
“Winning
four games straight calls for a lot of discipline, confidence and good
execution and good team spirit those are the areas that contributed to our
success.
We
have lost the first game to them so we must go out very serious and focus on
all of their players,” he said.
Barbados
are top of the standings with a record of four wins and one loss.

Comments
Post a Comment